Friday, July 07, 2006

Who do we admire?

I hesitate to say that this is a two part series, for God may say no, it should be more. We will see.

My last post was about Zenith. I knew that when I started. Several were doing an update about camp, so I did too. While I was writing that, I was praying that God would show me or tell me what to say in the next post. Several ideas have come to mind. I have chosen this one because God wants me to do my part to uplift women (especially my girl friends). Also, God wants me to present my talents. He has given them to me and I believe He wants me to share the products of those talents.

Who do we admire? Everyone has someone, maybe many. Someone in sports (I have a few here), in theatre ( I have several here), or just about town (I also have some here). It does not matter if the category is big or small, perhaps we have one or perhaps we have--- say 12. The point is we all admire someone, but who.

What got me to thinking about this was a comment a friend made. She told me that she admired me for giving up a week of my vacation to spend time at camp for our high schoolers. I did not feel I had done anything great because it was time off from work (Yea!!!)and I wanted to be at Zenith. It really did not feel like a sacrifice to me. God has given me the insight into what to respond to this comment. I want to share it.

As women, we are faced with role models who are thin, tall and glamorous --- you know the type--- super models, women on television or in print. I for one, find this to be a discouragement. For you see, I am short and heavy set ( one could even say fat). So where do I look for a role model, that woman I admire.

While attending West Texas A&M, I took a history course about women in history --not women of history. There is a big difference. Women of history are those famous women we know by their deeds or actions. For example Betsy Ross or Martha Washington. This course was about the role of women since our country was founded. It started out by saying women were brought to America solely to help with repopulation. It went to on tell about the role women played in our country as it experienced major events. Like how many women faught on the front lines of the Civil War and both World Wars. America is what we are because of the efforts of our women to survive and to attain the best conditions possible. And these women should be admired.

Anyway, we had to write a paper in this class about a living Texas woman who we could interview and collect journals and pictures from. This post is about the process I went through for this assignment. Coming from Vernon Texas and the Waggoner Ranch, I instantly decided I would interview Helen, one of the owners of the ranch. This decision was made because I knew there were several books published about her, so finding the journal information was going to be no big deal. On further instruction from my professor, it was revealed that our subject had to be at least in her 70's. Helen did not fit this category so I had to begin my search again.

After some thought and prayer, I changed my focus to someone who, first fit the requirements of the class, but mostly someone I truely wanted to get to know better. There were several women from my church that would be prefect. June was my choice.

June is a woman who is so sweet, never says a bad thing about anyone, and who is always so classy. Perhaps she was the choice because I remembered a cookout that we spent together where she was giving all of us a lesson in manners. How it was not proper to lick the plate clean all while she was licking her plate clean. I truely felt that God wanted me to do the paper on her because she is a remarkable woman and her presence in my life was what I needed. ( also my presence in her life was called for as well.)

She attended Texas Womens and became an English teacher. She married a man she met while at home from college. She left teaching to become a mom. She has lived throguh the depression and WWII. She told tales of her childhood. I learned that she is always dressed in her jewelry even on days that she is sick and in her gown and robe. (her daughter told me that.)

Why do I admire her? She grew up in the church. She raised her family as ( and converted her husband to be) Christians. Even as she had to tend to her husband in the later years of his life(which was strictened with mini strokes and failing health), her faith never wavered. She believes in the Lord with every fiber of her soul. I have learned and grown in my faith because of her. She has become a great friend. It was the right choice to make for the paper. The other lady is a great ranch icon but I knew I would never be like her because I would never have her money, her estates, or her fame. But June, I could see myself being like her. It is her walk with our Lord that I want to follow.

One final note on the jewelry,( it might seem like such a trival thing but perhaps that is what makes a difference.) There are days that I am in a bad mood or not feeling well so I dont want to bother with putting on my jewelry. Then an image appears of June in her gown and robe and earings and a necklace that cooridnates with that robe. So I go fine my stuff and yes my day becomes brighter.

Coming soon ---part 2 Women as Jewels. (yes as I mentioned at the begining, I hated to label this a two part series. I now know that it will be at least 3 parts.)

Love to all who reads this. As women, I hope this lifts you up. That is my prayer to all.
In Him
----liz

1 comment:

Natalie Brooke said...

Don't you love how God can use even an assignment in school to teach you something through one of his other children! June sounds like a wonderful lady. I completely understand the whole jewelry thing. It's like getting yourself dressed up when you feel bad...it lifts your spirits. Sometimes us girls have to do that.

I love that you wrote this post. I've been chatting it up with Monica and Crystal this week. Monica told me about Quita (don't know how to spell her name). It sounds like you have some great women at your church.

Missed seeing you this week. I'll be in your town next weekend...but I think we'll miss eachother bc you'll be in CO.

Love you beautiful Liz!