Friday, September 08, 2006

Masterpieces of Love part 2

On September 7, 2006, I was waiting details of the funeral and travel arrangements. I felt the need to write about my uncle. Two wonder pieces flowed from me. I have mentions that I feel that God wants me to use my talent and to showcase my work. So here is the second piece. If you have not read the first one, please out my post of 09-08 for The Angels called...

The Black Panther

One of my fondest memories
Was of the black panther.
Why was it a fond memory?
I broke it.

It was a gift to my grandma
Brought back from a term in the service.
My uncle has one himself
And the other he gave to her.

I was but a child
Perhaps six.
Perhaps even seven.
It sat on a table in her living room.
It was black and shiny.
it was not to be played with.
So therefore, what was I suppose to do?
I touched. I lifted. I dropped.
I broke it.

I was told it was ok.
Perhaps it was. Really.
But to me, I had let him down.
I broke it.

I thought about that black panther
Once in awhile, over the years.
How I should not have touched it.
But it was so pretty.
How disappointed he was.
He never mentioned it again.
How broken hearted I was.
But the thoughts would fade
As time marched on.

The memory returned to me
While I was visiting him several years ago.
Now I was grown
And he would soon get sick.
I did not have the heart to ask
about the other panther.
Where was it? Was it whole?
Could I have it?

So the search began for a match.
It could be smaller or bigger.
As long as it was black and shiny.
I will always treasure this memory.
It was special - perhaps only to me.
It is even more so today
Because it is what I have left.
Today, he went to meet Jesus
And a band of rowdy but specail angels.
He will be missed because he wasloved.
He is at home among the dearest of our relatives.

I salute him and his life.
The black panther sits always
Proudly displayed among beloved photos.
I have one of my own now.
A gift from someone who was disposing of it,
Her name escapes me now.
It does not matter.
Only the memory does.

Charles Hutchinson, 60
September 7, 2006

2 comments:

Monica Vidaurri said...

Wow!!! Great work can't wait to read you others!

Natalie Brooke said...

What a great way to honor him. Keep writing girl. Love you...miss you!