Friday, May 25, 2007

Compassion

It's all about compassion.



On May 18,2007, Army Spec. Ryan Collins, a Vernon young man, was killed in action in Iraq. The full details of his death will be months in coming. What is known is that he delayed his leave for another soldier so that soldier could come home to be with his newborn son.That's compassion. Ryan had gone on a mission to search for missing troops and was engaged in a small arms battle. Ryan loved serving his country and his compassion was part of his life. On the home front, Ryan was the son of a friend of mine and a member of the Wilbarger Church of Christ. He had a great love for his family and especially his brother.



As I have moved through this past week (after hearing of his death), trying to handle this situation, my job began to play on my mind. Everyday, I was becoming more upset about the lack of compassion shown by my place of employment. Their lack of care, lack of concern and /or lack of compassion has been evident for years but not to this extent. I had planned to write this blog giving examples of their lack of compassion. (The truth is that no one needs to be brought down by their shortcomings -- especially me.) Today, I must admit that has changed. Last night, I prayed for the leaders of my place of employment that they find just the tiniest bit of compassion in their hearts. The bottom line is this they are afraid they might lose one dollar if they close even long enough for the funeral, which will be Tuesday May 29, 2007 at 2:00 pm. (please pray for the family of Ryan Collins--- brother Eric Collins, Mother Danita Logsdon and her husband David Logsdon.)

The mayor wanted those not attending to stand along the street with flags to show their love and support to Ryan's family. My place of employment had no plans to close and was not even going to let personnel line the streets with the others. I prayed for their compassion. This morning I came to work knowing that I cound not do anything to change the direction of their compassion. I decided not to let their lack of human emotion influence my own compassion. I have decided to show my support for my friend and her family. Compassion is what comes from the heart and is directed toward others. As a Christian, this compassion is what has helped me to heal from this tradegy and will be what will help my friend and her family to heal as well. An in her time of need, she does not need to know about the lack of compassion.


I am proud to show my love and support for Army Spec. Ryan Collins. He died doing what he loved. Fighting for his country and for the freedom this country has. He fought for what he believed in. Perhaps in my own little way, I, too, am fighting for what I believe in. Yes! It is all about the compassion. Compassion for God. Compassion for others. Compassion for me (and my believes.)

J Jesus First
O Others Second
Y yourself (myself) last

As a final note: I am planning on attending the funeral on Tuesday. The compassion in my heart guides me to be there for my friend. Thanks for the prayers on the behalf of Ryan and his family.

No comments: